Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Newspapers of the Future

While browsing the NY Times website tonight, I stumbled across a rather interesting article that adds a new dynamic to the ever-raging debate over the future of newspapers.


It has long been accepted that with the emergence of new technologies (like the Internet and cell phones) comes an inevitable decline in the "traditional newspaper's" role.


This article, however, showed a new idea that just might work. The Plastic Logic company is trying to develop an "e-newspaper" - a device (the size of a paper) that would allow readers to pay for a subscription to their favorite newspaper and receive updated versions on their device. It would have wireless capabilities, enabling it to download any breaking news stories throughout the day.

Yes, people can already access news stories from their cell phones or PDA's. But the goal of this new invention is to retain the actual "look" of a newspaper page on a larger device. "We are hopeful that we will be able to distribute our newspaper content on a new generation of larger devices sometime next year," said Kenneth Bronfin, president of Hearst Interactive Media.

Not surprisingly, Europe is already ahead of the game on this one. The iLiad is an electronic reader that lets users access newspapers from France and the Netherlands. The technology works for them.

The only problem that's keeping this trend from going huge?

Money.

In Holland the iLiad costs $855, and after a year, it costs $270 annually to subscribe to the newspaper. This is obviously not wildly popular among a generation that is so accustomed to getting free information. We merely log onto any computer, type in a news website, and instantly we have access to everything we want. The sticker shock of this new device poses a real problem.

But what's new? Computers certainly were not affordable when they first came out. Neither were cell phones or DVD players. I remember, as a kid, when my dad first bought a strange new novelty called a "laptop". The prices back then were enormous, thanks to the newness of the technology.

So maybe, just maybe, if these "e-newspapers" can be made cheaply... they might stand a chance.

I know that I personally would have to warm up to the idea. I'm used to getting my news online, for free, whenever I'm at a computer. It seems to me like much of my generation has grown up with this "free information" mentality as well. That's why I think it would be exceptionally hard to market this product.

However, I'm not saying it can't be done. If its created in a user-friendly way, and if it establishes some "perks" that online news sites can't offer (like personalized news stories, absence of ads, etc.), then it may stand a chance as the next huge thing to hit our market.

What do you think?




6 comments:

Madison said...

This digital newspaper, or "newspaper of the future," demonstrates the creative genius of those operating within the technology market.

After seeing the great financial costs surrounding this device, I am not sure that I would spend my money in the immediate future on this device; however, if it follows the same path as the ipod, it will at first be very expensive, and then the cost of the basic form of the technology will decrease as new advances and new models increase in price.

I look forward to hearing about this device in the future and who knows, it could very well be the "newspaper of the future", whether we like or not.

Aleeyah D. said...

I am not fully convinced in becoming a supporter for this device of the future, the e-newspaper. It may be a popular sell in Europe; however, as you mentioned, I prefer to receive my news for little to no cost. In addition, I would expect the usage of this new technology to be very expensive, in order for the makers to make a profit.

G.T. Wilder said...

Beautiful use of photos. They have everything to do with helping the reader understand what this new concept is.

For me the drawback to this idea is the issue of portability. News papers are great because they are disposable.

Nothing is more sastifying then recycling newspapers.

Also you can do fantastic things with newspapers. You can fold them. You can cut them. You can tear them. YOu can even crumple them. Yes! Crumple them.

I own a puppet built out of news paper mache. I have contructed planes to soar around my house. I have pulled out the ink of the paper with silly putty.

On a more serious note poverty stricken people in poorly developed countries use newpaper as insulation for their house.

How can anything compare to newspaper?

Ramen Ninja said...

Of course Europe is working towards getting on the inside track with this issue.

What strikes me is that there are people that are willing to pay such high amounts of money in order to support the idea of keeping a newspaper service around.

I, for one, would not spend $855 for my news, but if there are people out there that are willing to invest the money to keep the newspaper alive, then there may be hope for the "dead tree" newspapers yet!

c.nolan said...

I can understand what they are trying to do. However, I would think the demographic wouldn't go for it.
The people who still prefer the print over the web are set in their ways. Some people just enjoy to wake up in the morning, sit and read their a paper while having a cup of coffee.
It’s an interesting idea but I don’t think it’ll work.

April said...

The "e-newspaper" sounds like a good idea, but isn't part of the point that people are unsatisfied with the way papers are now? The focus of the newspapers is a lot of text with few pictures, a "boring" and aged look, as well as coming attached with a price tag. Our generation wants quick, to the point, free, and visually appealing news. Even if this "e-newspaper" works for some, It is my opinion that unless a major change is made in the way newspapers write and make their visual appeal then their attempts will still come short of what they hope.

Great insight into the article! I enjoyed the extra pictures of what the device actually looks like to help readers get a visual of what you're talking about to go along with the name. Nice choice in a timely topic that is a big issue to "dead tree" publications around the world.